In this video, Sabine Hossenfelder explains how public key cryptography works on the internet today, using RSA as example, what the risk is that quantum computers pose for internet security, what post-quantum cryptography is, how quantum key distribution works, and what quantum cryptography is.
- 0:00 Intro
- 0:31 Public Key Cryptography
- 2:43 Risk posed by Quantum Computers
- 4:03 Post Quantum Cryptography
- 5:31 Quantum Key Distribution
- 10:25 Quantum Cryptography and Summary
- 11:16 NordVPN Sponsor Message
- 12:28 Thanks
It’s not surprising that the profound weirdness of the quantum world has inspired some outlandish explanations – nor that these have strayed into the realm of what we might call mysticism.
One particularly pervasive notion is the idea that consciousness can directly influence quantum systems – and so influence reality.
PBS Space Time examines where this idea comes from, and whether quantum theory really supports it.