Sabine Hossenfelder explains why free will is incompatible with the currently known laws of nature and why the idea makes no sense anyway.
Compare this with John-Paul Sartre’s “We are condemned to be free.”
Sounds like a perfect debate topic for Philosophy Friday here on Frank’s World.
- 0:00 Intro and Content Summary
- 0:30 Free will as the possibility to select a future
- 1:21 Free will is incompatible with the laws of nature
- 3:02 Chaos and quantum mechanics make no difference
- 3:50 Free will is nonsense
- 4:28 Other definitions of free will
- 6:32 What is really going on
- 6:58 Reacting to a prediction is not free will
- 8:00 Free will is unnecessary for moral behavior
- 9:30 How to live without free will